Monday, December 1, 2008

The modern day tragedy

In the past years I have witnessed tragic death among friends not a physical death but the untimely expiring of happiness to hated vocations. I have fallen victim to the same tragedy as I look back over my 3 plus years of college I realize that my passion has died and I am faced with a major I care nothing about. How does this happen? Why do we let ourselves walk so blindly forward with some optimistic idea. Oh if I do this I will make money and then I will be happy. Or I should choose this career because it is the safest. I may not like it be I can always have fun hobbies. How we deceive ourselves and walk ignorantly down a path that someone has recommended. I remember talking to the father of a good friend of mine. He goes to a office everyday makes good money with benefits and is able to provide for his family but he is not happy. He said he wanted to be an architect but because of fear of financial stability he forewent it and now works in a office, which he hates. His advice to me was to do what what you love and could see yourself doing everyday. I think we all need to think about that, when someone is passionate about what they do it shows. Those few exceptional teachers I have had in my schooling career shared something in common, they where passionate and I could tell they really loved what they did and understood the subjects. Worse than a teacher with no interest in teaching is one who really knows nothing. I think a really passionate teacher can get you excited about topics that you may not like, at least that is what happened to me. I had a college Algebra teacher who explained mathematics in such a way that I was almost convinced to change my major, students of all types and circumstances could relate to him and learned. I went away from that class not just learning equations but I understood the purpose of mathematics in daily life and beyond that how it explains the varying forms in the universe. Another teacher was so passionate about history and the civil war that when he spoke it brought it to life. I would sit there riveted, listening to him as he explained things. He was convincing in his role and if an actor surely put on a performance that impacted everyone in the room. Although many things came be acted or performed and perhaps people can pretend to like something they do not there is something to be said about sincerity. When someone is sincere and loves what they are doing it shows through and can be contagious. That is why I feel it is so important that we choose something we really enjoy in part for others but mostly for us. We are not all going to be teachers but likely we will all end up doing something whether it is work or a hobby and I think we should enjoy it. Sadly though, I see so many people discontent in their field of work or choice of school major. It is a tragedy to deny what you truly love and let it die, replacing it with some pale comparison. I hope that people will not make the same mistake I have made and find themselves near the end of their college degree unhappy. My first year at BYU I considered changing my major. I was finishing up my first semester and was enrolled in TMA 101( introduction to theater) when I realized just how much I loved theater. I had never considered theater that much and had no experience with it but then I discovered in the class a great passion for it. I felt theater encompassed various forms of creativity including writing, art, and performance. I thought, this an area I could combine the things I enjoy like writing, art etc. I was going to change my major but I let the fear of economic stability and fear of being inadequate prevent me from having the courage to change. I guess what I am saying to you all is .. if you love theater, visual arts, music, astronomy, nursing, mathematics or whatever it may be and feel you can survive the school system go for it. Go for what you love and what you are passionate about. Maybe you won't make tons of money but really what is more important? I do not know about any of you but I would rather do what I love and be happy than do something I do not like and be unhappily rich.

No comments: